I thought about making a post about the whole Bayesian community overreaction over CERN using p-values to announce that a Higgs like particle was discovered, but since I cannot possibly explain it better than Ms. Mayo‘s great blog in this post an others (specially if you like pink color), what I am going to do is to explain it different…
Warning for Bayesians: watching this video without sense of humor may cause difficulty breathing, swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat; chest pain; sweating and irregular heartbeats… Yes, just like Viagra, but just like Viagra it is worth it.
This video actually contains more reality that the sarcasm clothing might lead you to believe, so I’ll let you enjoy the game of figuring out what is real and what is not. ;)
I am tempted to make more posts about this so highly interesting and fun Bayesian vs Frequentist philosophical issue, but for now suffice to say that I basically agree with Mr. Bradley Efron‘s opinion in his science magazine article about the subject where he says:
My own practice is to use Bayesian analysis in the presence of genuine prior information; to use empirical Bayes methods in the parallel cases situation; and otherwise to be cautious when invoking uninformative priors. In the last case, Bayesians calculations cannot be uncritically accepted and should be checked by others methods, which usually means frequentistically.
Anyhow, for those interested, the Fuhrer scenes come from the fantastic movie Der Untergang. This is one of those great movies you can’t miss if you like history!
- Is Particle Physics Bad Science? (memory lane) (errorstatistics.com)
- Higgs evidence mounts one year on, so too the suspense (rappler.com)
- The Higgs Boson and Its Discovery Explained with Animation (englishblog.com)
- My Public Talk on the Higgs, Now Online (profmattstrassler.com)
- What’s next for particle physicists, post-Higgs? (phys.org)
- Ladies and Gentlemen, the Higgs Boson has been found! (3quarksdaily.com)
- Naturalness and the LHC nightmare (motls.blogspot.com)
- Stephen Ziliak Rejects Significance Testing (normaldeviate.wordpress.com)
- Bad news bears: ‘Bayesian bear’ rejoinder- reblog (errorstatistics.com)
- Unsignificant Statistics: Or Die P-Value, Die Die Die (wmbriggs.com)
- Higgs bozos: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are spinning in their graves (andrewgelman.com)